Friday, February 24, 2012

Anne-Sophie Reinhardt's blog series on Reasons For Recovery

I’m collaborating with other writers in a blog series for the month of February. The theme is: Reasons For Recovery. Anne-Sophie Reinhardt at Fighting Anorexia asked several of us advocates to blog about the topic.  I'll be sharing mine today, February 24th 2012.  

As most of you know I am the parent of someone who has fought an eating disorder for about 12 years now.  I have not ever been in recovery myself so I speak from the perspective of a parent who has fought these horrific illnesses from the sidelines, the trenches and anywhere else I can put myself.  

I'm on a mission to improve the lives of all impacted by these most deadly of all mental illnesses.  One life at a time.  I start with the family members who are walking around with their hearts ripped open from the pain they have observed in their loved ones who are being taken over by one of these monsters.

As part of that mission I am doing what I can to help raise funds for research.  The AED and Hope Network 1 Family $1 Drive for Eating Disorders Research idea came to me one morning while meditating.  There are approximately 70 million people worldwide suffering from eating disorders.  They all have at least one person who cares about them.  The idea is that if each of those carers donates $1 to this fund then there will be millions for research scholarships. Here is the website http://www.aedweb.org/Get_Involved.htm when you click on the purple words AED and Hope Network 1 Family $1 Drive for Eating Disorders Research you will be taken  to another page.  On this page put your dollar amount in the box next to the words, "Scholarship Fund"and your donation will add to the others and soon we'll have some answers.

In that role of helping the caregivers or carers I often suggest that they make a "Top 10 List" of things that they enjoy doing, that bring them peace and joy.  The purpose is to help them get their oxygen mask on so to speak.  To get their cup filled up so that they are equipped to not only function well themselves but also to be an effective support to their loved one who is so sick.

So today I am sharing my "Top 10 Reasons for Recovery! "

1. There are people who care about you and want you to live.
2. You are special because you are alive.
3. Life in recovery is amazing.
4. It gets better.
5. You have talents and gifts that are unique and the world is waiting for them.
6. Your true self is waiting to be released.
7. Your dog/bird/spider/lizard/cat/pet.
8. Having FUN!
9. Enjoying life and food and yourself.
10. It would make Becky happy to know that Ed lost and YOU won!  Truly.

Thank you all for being recovery warriors and for spreading the word about the 1 Family/$1 Research Scholarship Fund so we can have some answers and HOPE for a world without ED.
Becky Henry, CPCC
Hope Network, Inc.
Speaker, Coach and Award Winning Author of: Just Tell Her to Stop: Family Stories of Eating Disorders

Becky@hopenetwork.info
952-451-5663

Websites:
www.JustTellHerToStop.com
www.hopenetwork.info
Coachbeckyhenry.blogspot.com

Connect with me here:
twitter.com/HopeNetworkBeck
linkedin.com/in/eatingdisordercoach
http://www.facebook.com/HopeNetworkBeck 

No comments: